The Five Star Rating System
In December 2008, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) released their new so called "Quality Ratings" of nursing homes. These ratings were based on information gathered from health inspection surveys, staffing information, and quality of care measures. This information was put into questionable formulas and given values. The end result was a star rating of nursing facilities that was posted on the "Nursing Home Compare Website", with five stars being the highest rating.
Many facilities throughout the country, Orchard View Manor included, were not pleased with the approach or method that was used by the CMS star value. It has been voiced by many professional organizations in the nursing home industry that the data collected is too subjective and does not measure quality. How could this information be used to accurately measure quality when CMS itself admits that the health inspection surveys are inconsistent from state to state? It has also been documented that facilities that have sub acute units look worse in this system because they are caring for people that are sicker, as is the case with Orchard View Manor. Admitting residents that are sicker will have an effect on the quality of care measures, thus leading to lower scores. As far as staffing, the data gathered is based on a snapshot of a two week period which is not necessarily indicative of staffing throughout the year. It is for these reasons, and more, that the nursing home industry has asked that CMS reevaluate the 5 star system and make significant changes.
In a recent study, consumers rated customer satisfaction as the key indicator to consider when contemplating nursing home placement. We agree whole heartedly with this approach and are glad to be evaluated on this metric.
Over the last two years, Myinnerview, a national research company, conducted satisfaction surveys of residents and family members at Orchard View Manor. The results for these two survey years showed an average rating of 94% that would highly recommend Orchard View Manor to other residents and families. Overall satisfaction with Orchard View Manor for the two year period averaged 96%, which we consider to be a significant compliment.
Orchard View Manor does not feel that the ratings from CMS are fair or representative of Orchard View Manor's commitment to quality care for our residents. We invite you to come and visit us, talk to our residents and see how they rank us. Below are actual comments provided by residents and their families regarding their experience at Orchard View Manor.
- "My thanks and sincere appreciation to all those who took such good care of my father during his stay at Orchard View Manor. He was treated with respect and kindness- something that doesn't always happen when dealing with the elderly. I appreciate the staff always keeping me informed from a daily standpoint to the meetings held in the conference room. I am grateful to know my dad was so well cared for. I saw it with every visit I paid him."
- "I am writing to thank you and commend the staff at Orchard View Manor for the loving care they provided for my Mom.
Although there were many excellent caregivers a few really stand out. These people were not only superb caregivers, but became her beloved friends and ours. Whenever we had any concerns, they were always available to reassure us, either in person or by phone.
The activities crew provided countless and varied ways for Alice to enjoy many active hours. The dietary staff was always available."
- "Honestly I was so impressed with the nurses, CNA's, all the entire staff in the physical therapy and OT department were so fantastic. They all work together as a team and I hope that all the staff in the Sub-Acute unit are recognized as wonderful, professionals. I cried the day I took my mother home, because we became so very friendly with the entire staff. If my Mother ever needs to go into a nursing home in the future, for whatever reason, I hope Orchard View Manor will take her.
Thank you so very much. It is a 5 star nursing home."
- "This was my second stay at Orchard View Manor. I was here 8 years ago and needed rehab after a knee replacement. I just love the rehab services, who pushed me every day, and it was worth it. My nurse and nurse's aides were wonderful on Cortland Circle. Thank you all so very much for everything."
- "I want to thank you all for the care that you took there for my mother about 2 months ago. All the services that she received was all the best. I have a special thanks for the nurses on the rehabilitation center for all the patience and good manner that she received from all of you. Also to all the other staff, a special thanks to the social worker that was very pleasant and explained all the facts to me. I only can say thank you to all of you and God Bless you all."
- "On behalf of my wife and I we cannot thank you and your staff enough for the wonderful care that you provided my Mom during her eight years that she lived at Orchard View Manor. There was never a time when she was unhappy or in any pain. That's mostly as a result of the terrific care she received from the incredible people who work on Baldwin Boulevard. They are our heroes.
The pride and dedication that your people demonstrated on a daily basis from your head chef to all the CNA's and their assistants was most impressive. The kindness your people showed us during my Mom's final days was also much appreciated. It made a very sad few days a little less painful.
Continued success in making the lives of our elderly a little more comfortable and providing the respect that they deserve."
- "Thank you very much for all your care. Your caring dedication and gentleness is a true tribute to your profession. Everyone showed genuine love and concern from the cleaning people to the food people to the CNA's, RN's, therapists and on and on…"